I have to say something about the awfulness in Newtown, CT. Even though I try to have semi-random political posts that are not just covering super-current news, I have to now.
I still think it’s ridiculous that gun possession is lawful when nearly every other civilized country has virtually outlawed it, generally leading to lower violence statistics. But even arguing for its legality/constitutionality, I definitely think there’s no reason to have an assault weapon unless you are killing people. Why would I have to go through more documentation to get a driver’s license than it is to get a gun permit? Why is it harder to get through one page of IRS forms than it is to buy a gun? Why do I wait longer to get a passport than I do to get a gun? I think we seriously need to reevaluate our priorities.
When we have laws that make it illegal to get a drug (marijuana/cannabis) which won’t affect anyone (and is clearly less deleterious than tobacco) and its illegality spurs drug wars which kill people with guns that are easier to get than the marijuana itself, then I think we need to do something radical, and now. Seriously, what the hell are we doing, and why aren’t we doing something today, let alone yesterday. When 9/11 happened, we immediately (start to) reorganize our national defense. When there is a recall of a food or product, we immediately take steps to curb the danger to the public. When we are one day late with our utility bills, we immediately get slapped with a late payment charge. Let’s do something about this immediately.
- Jimmy Carter: Marijuana Legalization Is Smart, Imprisonment For Possession Is Out Of Control (libertycrier.com)
- The stupid gets worse: gun organization blames anti-gun lobby for school shootings (whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com)
- Gun Control Now | Politics News | Rolling Stone (policyabcs.wordpress.com)
- The President Vs the Nra (steppaz1961.wordpress.com)
- Kindergarten Massacre in Newtown – Find a Modern Answer (bobinvienne.com)